Monday 26 September 2016

Is Anything Good Enough?

Is Anything Good Enough?


In today’s culture, women are often forced to believe that one look is not good enough or that they have to change how they look to fit into what society says is okay. In Rosalind Gills Postfeminist Media Culture: Elements of a Sensibility, she talks about these issues. Women are viewed as objects to the male eye and they have to conform to all norms or what is appropriate to be accepted as beautiful and get men to want them.
Television shows such as Extreme Makeover embrace them makeover paradigm, which constitutes postfeminist media culture (Gill, 2007). As stated in the article, this requires “women to believe first that they or their life is lacking or flawed in some way, and second that it is amenable to reinvention or transformation by following the advice of relationship, design or lifestyle experts, and practicing appropriately modified consumption habits” (Gill, 2007). The show Extreme Makeover is about people who get a so called “once in a lifetime” experience to change their appearance. “Participants are then variously advised, cajoled, bullied or 'educated' into changing their ways and becoming more 'successful' versions of themself (e.g. looking younger, getting past the first date, having a better relationship with their children, etc.)” (Gill, 2007). They can get surgery so fix any flaws they dint like and they can receive a whole new wardrobe makeover. During the show they get a whole new insight on what is appropriate and fashionable. They are then shown what is the “true definition” of beauty and now they all of a sudden have then confidence to go out into the dating world and try new things. This show teaches women that how you are, is not good enough for what society thinks. You are not beautiful enough to be yourself.
Society can make women feel as if they are not pretty. There is a song by TLC written in 1999 called “Unpretty” which talks about how an individual can make a girl feel unattractive if she doesn’t look a certain way or fits the cultural qualities of beauty. The song goes:
 “I wish could tie you up in my shoes
Make you feel unpretty too
I was told I was beautiful
But what does that mean to you
Look into the mirror who's inside there
The one with the long hair
Same old me again today (yeah)

My outsides look cool
My insides are blue
Every time I think I'm through
It's because of you
I've tried different ways
But it's all the same
At the end of the day
I have myself to blame
I'm just trippin'”
In this verse of the song she states how the guy makes her feel bad on the inside, like her worth isn’t good enough for what he wants. She could in return make him feel the same way but she doesn’t because she feels as if it is her fault why she lets him make her feel this way. The chorus of the song is what is most relevant to this topic because it talks about how she has to do anything to please him and make him happy. She says that she has to change her hair and her nose just to feel like she is good enough for him. The chorus goes:
            “You can buy your hair if it won't grow
You can fix your nose if he says so
You can buy all the make up
That M.A.C. can make
But if you can't look inside you
Find out who am I too
Be in the position to make me feel
So damn unpretty
I'll make you feel unpretty too

Never insecure until I met you
Now I'm bein' stupid
I used to be so cute to me
Just a little bit skinny
Why do I look to all these things?
To keep you happy
Maybe get rid of you
And then I'll get back to me (hey)”
This song is a great example of how the media can make men view only one form of beauty. And it is the one that they see on TV everyday, not the realistic women that we come across everyday. The women we see daily do not have fixed up bodies and faces made out of other body parts and altered bone structures. The makeover paradigm is a result of this.
            Although there are TV shows that embrace this type of action, there is individualism, choice, and empowerment. Gill states, “the uptake of breast augmentation surgery by teenage girls are widely depicted as indicators of women 'pleasing themselves' and 'using beauty' to make themselves feel good.” Women have the right to enhance themselves and no one can be the judge of whether or not she does that. We want women to feel in power and capable of doing whatever they want. To add onto that, Gill says, “Scant attention is paid to the pressures that might lead a teenager to decide that major surgery will solve her problems, and even less to the commercial interests that are underpinning this staggering trend e.g. targeted advertising by cosmetic surgery clinics, and promotional packages that include mother and daughter special deals and discounts for two friends to have their ‘boobs’ done at the same time.” The media uses many tactics to get women to feel like they aren’t good enough and need to “make” themselves better.  But if she wants to do it she can. She has her own mind and choices. We can’t forever try to control what women want to do. The have their own sense of individuality and can do what they please. They shouldn’t be judged for what they want to do forever.

                 



Works Cited
"Extreme Makeover." TV.com. N.p., 25 Oct. 2006. Web. 26 Sept. 2016.
Gill, Rosalind (2007) Postfeminist media culture: elements of a sensibility. European journal of     cultural studies, 10 (2). pp. 147-166.
Gorfain, Louis H. "Extreme Makeover." Extreme Makeover. ABC. 11 Dec. 2002. Television.

TLC. Unpretty. La Face, 1999. CD

5 comments:

  1. I really like your writing style! I personally think that women are going to be judged no matter what they do so they should do whatever they want. I also think that while most of society views only one form of beauty, it is important to remember that not everybody does. Reading this kind of stuff makes me want to do something to change people's perspectives on beauty. Overall great job connecting the article with the song and making it relatable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really interesting, too, when you add other categories into the mix. For example, race. It's so much harder for black women to be feminine because they are either sexualized in a way that white women aren't or put into a hypermasculine type of label that white women aren't.

    (Obviously, white women are objectified all the time, but people talk about black women like they are a fetish or a piece of chocolate for their consumption. So the situations are different).

    It's interesting because we may encourage femininity like we learned about in "Feminism and Femininity," but with our weird standards, some women are able to be feminine and others can't. And the ones that can still aren't good enough so you know the ones that can't are really out of luck.

    I agree with Alyssa that we should do whatever we want (as long as no one is hurt by it, who cares?). I just wish society allowed us to do that and didn't push all these standards on us or anyone else.

    As for Alyssa's comment on perspectives of beauty, that's part of why I am a feminist and a Fat Acceptance Movement activist. I think all people should be treated with respect and be given the same social, economic, and political rights regardless of race, size, gender, etc. And beauty standards are a common tool used in oppression with which I want to do away. As a fat person, I've been hurt by them my whole life. And I can say first hand that it can really have a negative impact on your mental health that stays with you even after you think you're over it.

    I also agree with Alyssa about your writing style. This was very well done!

    Here's some ridiculous statistics on size discrimination, by the way: http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/assets/documents/naafa_FactSheet_v17_screen.pdf

    As you can see, not being attractive enough can have more consequences than just a mean look or rude comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay,
    I really liked your post and thought you related the article to the song very well. As a woman my whole life I have felt I have to act or look a certain way and the media is a HUGE factor in that. Shows that makeover a woman ans all of a sudden she has power and she matters, just goes to show that society really pushes a certain type of beauty onto us. We've talked about it many times in class, its almost paradoxical, nothing women do seem to be good enough! Somehow, someone is going to be judging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post. The media defiantly pressures young girls and women to look a certain way and if you don't fit that certain image perfectly, then there is something wrong with you, which is so sad to me. We were all created differently for a reason and we need to appreciate it. Shows like what not to wear are horrible and I do not watch them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this post. The media defiantly pressures young girls and women to look a certain way and if you don't fit that certain image perfectly, then there is something wrong with you, which is so sad to me. We were all created differently for a reason and we need to appreciate it. Shows like what not to wear are horrible and I do not watch them!

    ReplyDelete